ISM Engine Applications
• Heavy Duty Trucks
• Emergency Vehicles
• Superior Performance. The ISM's improved performance is gained through its use of superior diesel engine technology.
• Best Fuel Economy. The ISM continues to have the best fuel economy in its class, even while meeting 2002 EPA certification.
• Low Maintenance Costs. Greater reliability with fewer parts.
The new Cummins technology now has over 1 billion mile of proven performance. We're so confident in the performance of this engine, we're giving an Uptime Guarantee.
• The ISM's Variable Geometry Turbocharger produces quicker throttle response with less turbo "lag."
• SmartTorque automatically adds up to 100 extra lb-ft of torque in the top two gears, for better fuel economy and fewer shifts.
• Exceptional Power-to-Weight-Ratio - With ratings up to 500 hp and 1550 lb-ft of peak torque.
• Improved compression braking with the fully integrated C Brake by Jacobs.
• Rear Engine Power Take-off (REPTO) is available for vehicles that need an engine to do double-duty.
• Fully integrated electronic controls using Cummins ECM provide increased performance from all subsystems.
Cummins ISM delivers excellent fuel economy, thanks to its electronically controlled fuel system with advanced air-handling technology.
• To achieve the best fuel economy with Cummins ISM, spec'ing one of our two SmartTorque ratings is a great option.
• Cummins PowerSpec, the online tool that describes each engine feature, gives recommended settings and lets you modify and optimize operation of your Cummins engines.
• Improve mpg even further, get RoadRelay™ 4, the in-cab monitor that helps drivers improve their own skill level.
• Cooled EGR low emission technology provides the best fuel economy alternative.
• Fuel economy is still driver dependent. LBSC (Load Based Speed Control) can provide up to a 1.5% fuel economy improvement.
• Gear-Down Protection (GDP) - Improves fuel economy by encouraging the driver to operate in the top two gears.
• Idle Control - Electronic features control idle speed, idle time, engine shutdown and PTO utilization.
• Road Speed Governor and Cruise Control - Settings optimize both fuel economy and performance.
• Articulated piston design featuring forged-steel crown and aluminum skirt allows for higher top ring piston, optimizing fuel efficiency.
• Onan's Comfort Guard System is a totally integrated two-cylinder diesel-powered Onan® generator that powers all your auxiliary power needs. This adds up to a savings of 8.5% in fuel costs every year.
Low Maintenance Costs
Cummins ISM delivers outstanding fuel economy, thanks to its electronically controlled fuel system with advanced air-handling technology.
• Lower Operating Costs - Thanks to long maintenance intervals combined with a simplified design.
• Oil drain intervals of up to 50,000 miles are achieved throughout CENTINEL™ optimized lube system design using the latest in Fleetguard filtration technology.
• Self-tensioning belt drive system drives both fan and alternator for reduced maintenance and increased belt life.
• Mid-stop cylinder liner minimizes oil consumption and increases durability.
• Advanced Fleetguard® ES System™ with StrataPore™ filters designed for use with the new CI-4 engine oils.
• QuickCheck III allows you see what your engine readings are so there are no more surprises.
• Water-in-fuel sensor alerts driver to contamination that could cause performance and durability problems.